Thursday, May 29, 2008

How To Make That First Call Of The Day A Success

Writen by Dr. Gary S. Goodman

The first call of the day is always the toughest.

For some reason, I get a little shy and introverted before speaking to the first prospect in the morning.

But I'd say eighty or ninety percent of the time that initial prospect I get on the line is courteous and surprisingly receptive to my offer.

How can that be? Aren't people supposed to be grumpy first thing in the morning?

That's what we might tell ourselves as we start our routines, but we should edit that expectation.

Instead, we should say, "This call is going to be great!"

What if it isn't?

Then, we can just as quickly add, "Now the first call is out of the way, the frogs are leaving my throat, and all's well with the world!"

In other words, there's always a positive spin that we can put on STARTING, a reward or a pat on the back we can bestow, no matter how wobbly we appear to be to ourselves.

The other day, for instance, I followed up by phone with a prospect to whom I sent a proposal, but had received no feedback. When I got her on the line, frankly, I was a little nervous, not knowing what to expect.

My voice warbled a little, not at all filled with its customary confidence.

Still, and perhaps even because I sounded genuine and perhaps a little vulnerable, I revived the deal, and submitted a better proposal, one more closely geared to what the company expected to buy.

That follow-up was my first call of the day, and I felt great afterwards.

So, how should you prepare for the first call of the day?

Relax and tell yourself you won't be perfect, and more important, you don't have to be in order to come out ahead.

Being in the same early morning mood, your prospects and clients will empathize with you and probably go out of their way to help you out!

Best-selling author of 12 books and more than 900 articles, Dr. Gary S. Goodman is considered "The Gold Standard"--the foremost expert in sales development, customer service, and telephone effectiveness. Top-rated as a speaker, seminar leader, and consultant, his clients extend across the globe and the organizational spectrum, from the Fortune 1000 to small businesses. He can be reached at: gary@customersatisfaction.com.

No comments: