Friday, July 4, 2008

My Lucky Sales Calling Formula

Writen by Steve Martinez

When my sales management assistant requested an update on a particular account, I didn't want to make the call. However, I knew if I didn't make the telephone call, my assistant would hound me until I had an updated status. This is one reason I love my digital assistant.

My computer dialed the telephone number and I waited. The voice over the telephone was different and friendly so I asked for Rodney. Rodney was my contact. The voice on the telephone advised me that Rodney didn't work there anymore. I was elated and happy to hear this. I think I said something like, "I'm really glad to hear this". You see, Rodney was my initial point contact for this account and I couldn't get past him. I was prepared to speak to Rodney in a forceful approach.

Let me back up for a minute. This account is an important account and I am confident they will be interested in my services for sales growth. From my research I know they can use my services. All I need is an opportunity to speak with the right person. Unfortunately, my several attempts created aggravation because Rodney blew me off each time.

Persistence Pays

Back to the call, I learned that the CEO was the voice on the telephone. Initially, my blood chilled to the core when I discovered this. However, this was my opportunity and it was the moment salespeople live for. I needed to collect myself and create a sense of interest and share my reason for calling. Fortunately, I had prepared myself for this situation and my preparation paid off. I'm not really sure what I said because some of it is still a blur but it must have sounded good because the CEO will review my materials. I was fortunate because the CEO chuckled with me on the telephone regarding my tough time getting through. The CEO tole me I was now speaking with the right contact. My 30 second elevator speach paid off and I advised my sales assistant to update this accounts status to prospect.

My attitude of confidence was high when I made the telephone call and my persistence paid off like it always does. You might say that I was lucky. I don't think so. It was simply a matter of preparation meeting opportunity. As you make your sales calls, do it with the right attitude because preparation and opportunity will always bring luck your way.

Steve Martinez is a Sales Management Growth Strategist and Founder of Selling Magic. Ask for a "Sales Audit" and subscribe to his ezine to Increase sales with the best practices of sales management at http://www.sellingmagic.com

No comments: