Friday, August 22, 2008

Dumb Salesman Reveals Gate Keepers Secret

Writen by Steve Martinez

You wouldn't think a dumb salesperson could get anywhere. Nothing could be further from the truth. Acting dumb on cold calls is one of the smartest sales strategies for breaking down the gate keepers information storehouse.

Gatekeepers usually recognize salespeople when they walk in the door or say their first words on the telephone. It is like wearing a giant sign that identifies salespeople. The gate keepers defenses go up and most salespeople don't get the information they want. Occasionally, some salespeople will get through and they might get limited information. But overall, the sales strategy doesn't work with experienced gate keepers.

Some of us walk in the door and identify ourselves immediately as salespeople. Why? This is the sales strategy for people who like rejection. If you have done this, you know what I'm talking about. In many cases the gate keeper shifts in their seat as the protection instinct is turned on and they mentally prepare the lies they will tell us as they get rid of us with poor information they are told to give salespeople.

Be Smart, Act Dumb and Get Information

When I make cold calls, I rarely introduce myself and always begin with a question. Besides, I'm there to get information to reach my next step in the sales process. In my sales process, information is the only goal I have. If the gate keeper thinks I'm a salesperson, they won't give me the right information. Starting with a question changes everything. The gate keeper doesn't recognize me as a salesperson. I quickly discover what I need to know and move to the next step of my sales process. Everyone is happy and rejection never enters the picture.

Steve Martinez implements sales management strategies with a focus on automating sales for printing organizations. Selling Magic teaches businesses how to automate and customize ACT or Outlook with the best practices of sales management while integrating email marketing and technology for greater profits. http://www.sellingmagic.com

No comments: