Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Temper Your Fear Of Cold Calling With An Even Greater Fear Of Your Choice

Writen by Dr. Gary S. Goodman

The bad news is you shake and tremble at the idea of calling someone out of the blue and asking for their business.

The good news is you recognize you are motivated by fear, and if you openly acknowledge this fact, you can put it to work.

What do you fear MORE than cold calling?

I'll tell you what I fear and loathe:

(1) Losing my independence. I realize that much of my calling is non-delegable. If I don't do it, nobody else will nearly as capably, on my behalf. And if I don't get it done, my business will fail, and I'll have to get a job working for someone else, and that taskmaster, by the way, WILL compel me to make cold calls!

(2) Not paying my bills, when due. Chalk it up to the fact that I started my career as a bill collector. I just hate getting behind, and I'm resolved to not letting that happen. Cold calls book business for me, enabling me to meet my obligations on time.

(3) Procrastination makes me feel like a flake, and I hate feeling flaky! So, better to make that call I've been postponing than to feel badly about myself.

(4) I have a reputation to uphold as a masterful cold-caller, and I'm not going to let my fans down. I'm supposed to be a good role model, after all!

(5) I hate feeling that I am stagnating, and nothing dashes that notion better than meeting strangers by phone, getting the adrenaline pumped, and so on.

So, imagine those fears and undesirable outcomes that are calculated to occur if you don't cold call, and it will make the lesser task of dialing and smiling a lot easier to do!

Dr. Gary S. Goodman, President of Customersatisfaction.com, is a popular keynote speaker, management consultant, and seminar leader and the best-selling author of 12 books, including Reach Out & Sell Someone® and Monitoring, Measuring & Managing Customer Service, and the audio program, "The Law of Large Numbers: How To Make Success Inevitable," published by Nightingale-Conant. He is a frequent guest on radio and television, worldwide. A Ph.D. from USC's Annenberg School, a Loyola lawyer, and an MBA from the Peter F. Drucker School at Claremont Graduate University, Gary offers programs through UCLA Extension and numerous universities, trade associations, and other organizations in the United States and abroad. He holds the rank of Shodan, 1st Degree Black Belt in Kenpo Karate. He is headquartered in Glendale, California, and he can be reached at (818) 243-7338 or at: gary@customersatisfaction.com.

No comments: