Monday, February 9, 2009

A Screener And Voice Mail Tactic To Avoid

Writen by Art Sobczak

Sometimes I see a sales guru in print suggesting a technique so unrealistic and outrageous I don't even bother to get upset. I know most sane people would dismiss it.

However, here's one I've seen at least three times within the past month, each attributed to a different person, each time in a different publication or on-line source. I must address it.

The tip is always aimed at outside reps setting appointments by phone. These goofball "authorities" suggest when you're having a difficult time reaching a buyer and getting screened, or they're not returning calls . . . leave a message on voice mail saying,

"I'm having a difficult time reaching you. I would like to meet with you to show you what we can do for you. I'll be in your area, and unless I hear from you otherwise, I'll interpret that as a sign of interest, and I'll stop by at 9:00 a.m. on Friday."

You've got to be kiddin' me! Heck, why stop with the appointment? Why not say,

"Since you haven't returned my messages, I assume you want to buy from me. I'll ship 30 cases right out to you unless I hear from you before Friday."

How pompous. How idiotic. When I read nonsense like this, everything else the author says has no credibility with me, since I must assume he's not speaking from experience.

Recommendation

So why does any salesperson not get calls returned, or get screened out? Simple. Their listeners do not perceive returning the call (or, putting the call through in the screener's case) as worthwhile, containing anything of value to them.

Many sales people create errors of omission (not saying anything of value to persuade the listener otherwise, or being evasive with a screener) or commission (leaving messages that are salesperson-oriented and product-centered, which scream out, "I only care about selling something!"

As we've talked about so many times here, when attempting to reach a buyer be certain that you have a results-oriented statement that will pique curiosity. You don't need to sell them; just get them curious enough to want to spend a little time with you by phone. You can and should use the same ideas you'd present in an opening statement.

For example,

"Mike, the reason I'm calling is that I understand you're now considering upgrading your office network. Depending on how far you are in the process, I might have a few ways to streamline that upgrade as well as make sure you don't overspend on hardware. I'd like to ask a few questions to determine if it would be worth our while to spend some time together. My number is . . ."

Trickery and outrageous tactics only contribute to the stereotype of the typical "salesperson." Articulate the value you can potentially deliver, and you'll earn the right to speak with more people who can and will buy from you.

Art Sobczak helps sales pros use the phone to prospect, service and sell more effectively, while eliminating morale-killing "rejection. To get FREE weekly emailed TelE-Sales Tips visit: http://ww.BusinessByPhone.com

No comments: